Smoking kills, we have heard that time and again but do we know the actual evil in it or what it does to our body?
Health issues in Pakistan are rapidly growing. In 1983, around 50,000 acres of fertile land was being used to cultivate tobacco, the main ingredient that makes smoking deadly. Tobacco cultivation is also the leading reason that is causing damage to the environment, 1.5 million acres of wood is being used to cultivate tobacco. So by disadvantages of smoking, you’re not only damaging your health but also the Earth and those around you.
Tobacco is responsible for 160,100 deaths in Pakistan as of 2018. These deaths can be easily avoided if these people stop smoking. Tobacco is the leading cause of coronary heart disease, stroke, and peripheral vascular disease. In a research, it was found that 25% of ischemic heart disease (Coronary Heart Disease) in men under 65 years of age was due to smoking.
In a survey conducted it was found that 36% males and 9% of females smoke actively. That is a total of 45% of the total population. Among young adults especially the university students in Pakistan, 15% with the majority being male smokers are wasting their health by smoking. Approximately 1,200 children start smoking every day. When almost half the population is smoking they are polluting the air they are causing the rest of the population major health issues also.
Those who don’t smoke also are victimized because of the smoke in the air, these people are known as passive smokers or second-hand smokers and are also at the risk of heart diseases due to the polluted air they are breathing in. In a published report around 3000 people are affected by passive smoking. Which concludes that smokers not only suffer heart diseases themselves for voluntarily taking part in a suicide mission but also create a hostile environment for those who breathe the same air. These passive smokers add to the number of people suffering from heart diseases who are not even at fault.
Another complication is added on by E-cigarettes, many people who use these keep on with the conventional ways. Using both causes more damage than using only one at a time. E-cigarettes provide the user with nicotine in an aerosol form which most people consider to be safer than the conventional way but research says it has the same effect on the smoker. Hence, smoking both or one does not matter they both pose high risks of heart diseases. Many health news outlets have also covered the dangers of E-cigarettes.
Smoking once a day does not lessen the dangers of heart diseases. One cigarette a day ups the chances of getting a heart attack by 50%. Those who think that they are doing themselves a favor by not having a full pack per day should take notice as the amount of cigarettes does not matter. Just being near one is just as dangerous as being near many.
About two million deaths are due to cardiovascular diseases each year obtained through the simple act of smoking. A study was conducted between smokers that smoked one cigarette a day and those who smoked 20 cigarettes a day. They found that those who smoked once a day had 46% of the excess risk of heart disease as opposed to those smoking a full pack a day, much higher than expected.
For strokes, one time smokers were 41% more likely to get them than those smoking full packs. This should not encourage those smoking full packs to keep on going on with the habit because they are at a great risk themselves also. You people cause more problems for those who surround you as they have to inhale the same intoxication for no reason at all. This includes your families and environment in general. You smoking more puts those around you at a risk to end up with a heart disease that is just as bad as the smokers. This includes young children also.
If not for yourselves take a step forward for your loved ones. You may not need them but they need you. One smoke or more is not worth putting your families and your heart through all the pain. Understand the importance of health otherwise your younger ones will face the same future.
1) Journal of Pakistan Medical Association
2) The Express Tribune
3) The National Center for Biotechnology