200,813,818, well that is a huge number. That is also the number of us Pakistanis alive today.
That is a lot of us Pakistanis. But did you know that a staggering 26% of us are suffering from diabetes? At least 35 million to 37.5 million are just over the age of 20. This means health in Pakistan has deteriorated significantly over the years.
Baqai Institute of Diabetology and Endocrinology (BIDE) in collaboration with the Health Ministry of Pakistan Health Research Council and WHO-funded Diabetic Association of Pakistan
The health survey was done with the collaboration of the three institutions. This was the first of its kind to be conducted in Pakistan ever conducted in the last five years. According to the last survey, only 7% to 8% of people were to be suffering from this disease. This was conducted as recently as 2016-17.
The Prediction was to Reach 15 % to 20% by the Year 2040
We have significantly wronged the predictions made and reached a mile high for the diabetes category. The rise of soda consumption has risen to dangerous heights and this has been a major contributing factor to the rise in diabetes in Pakistan. The rise of consumption of energy drinks has also reached dangerous heights in the millennial generation.
Energy drinks are addictive and cause type 2 diabetes and many other health problems because
• Many energy drinks are high in sugar, they eventually wear out the insulin-producing cells in the body
• The addictiveness in the caffeine makes it difficult to leave drinking them
• Energy drinks elevate the blood pressure and this leads to many heart problems and also diabetes
Healthy Diets Are Now Only Related to the Fad Diets That Majority of the Population is Following
These fad diets if followed for too long can cause long-term damage to your body once you return to proper eating. Those who are already suffering from diabetes can cause more damage to themselves as fad diets can result in low sugar levels.
Fad diets can also mess with your blood pressure and cholesterol. This also affects the blood sugar level in your body which leads to many other health problems.
Problems Like Obesity Are Prevalent in Pakistan
Women in the majority are found to be suffering from obesity than men. Besides these factors other factors are
• Illiteracy, that is lack of proper education in the majority of the population
• Lack of awareness, the right guidance to the food you should be consuming for better health
• Lack of proper fund, the minority who do have the knowledge but cannot afford the treatments and medicines
• Lack of quality nutrients, that is the access to proper and healthy foods due to high poverty rates and for many the bad eating choices
• Lack of quality medical resources, the medical health department has been long neglected to long by the government and people of resource
Most people are unaware of the risk factors of diabetes. They also do not know about the preventive measures that can save them from suffering from a grim fate.
In the Wake of the Survey, the Government Has Launched the National Nutritional Program.
It is trying it’s best to provide the correct knowledge to the people. It has also targeted expectant mothers to help them realize how their health effects that of the baby in the womb.
The minister also mentioned how almost every family in Pakistan has been directly or indirectly associated with the disease. They mentioned that the key to a healthier Pakistan is the health and wellness of the future generations.
The government has made a move towards a healthier Pakistan but more active work is required in this front.
Those Who Have the Knowledge Pass It On, Those Who Receive the Knowledge Have the Power to Change Their Fate
Your health is your choice. Your choice determines the course of your life. So many diseases that not anyone would have thought about have now become popular especially in the younger generations. Pakistan we as a nation are doing many things wrong. Are we going to change this or not is the main question! Think carefully,